Translate

Thursday 1 August 2013

Weddings. What’s all the fuss about?

Weddings. There’s so much planning that is involved in executing that one special day that should commemorate the love you and your partner share.

Whether you plan an extravagant wedding in an Italian Vinyard, come from a Hindu background where the wedding is a full-on 3-day party event, or opt to have an intimate ceremony by the beach, it’s one of the most important days of your life.



I've always been a fan of the Backless Dress. Now I understand why all of these brides consume nothing but chia seeds and Spirulina for up to 6 months before the big event. 





Blame It on The Culture


As someone with a Lebanese mother and Syrian father, I think I’ve probably been to more weddings than I can remember. In fact, I am usually strapped for cash, and rushing around frantically trying to find last minute outfits for sometimes up to 3 weddings in the one-month. Cray Cray, I know! My sisters and I have a code word for the month of September, better known as “Wedding Season.” I’ll let you guys in on our personal joke; it’s the season when all of the Mohammad’s /Ali’s we’ve grown up with eventually marry a Fatima’s or a Zeineb. Gotta love a good stereotype. 

But despite the huge weddings, with the traditional drums, delicious mezze’s and crazy dancing, I have never been one to plan even one aspect of my future wedding. This may or may not be because I’m still single.  Or so my mum says. I think I missed that important conversation in time when all of the girls relished at the thought of a tulle dress, the perfect up-do and posies in hand. Maybe it happened when most girls were combing their Barbie’s hair (don’t understand how, I swear I always managed to ruin mine), meanwhile I would’ve been out in the backyard catching lizards with my brother or riding my bike.

When It Just Hits You 


You see, up until about 3 months ago, I was actually impressed with my lack of enthusiasm in that department. That’s not to say I don’t jump for joy when one of my girlfriends announce an engagement or am not the first to get involved in Hen’s Parties. Actually I kind of have a long-standing tradition which always involves me lining up to tackle the bitch that tries to catch that cheap bouquet of flowers the bride throws in attempt to get that fat cherub, better known as cupid to get his ass moving along. I know, how very immature, and superstitious. The reality is I don’t expect my prince charming to astonishingly show up to that same wedding, or even bump into me in the fruit and veg isle at woolies a week later. Maybe I watch too many romantic comedies, but I’m just competitive, so winning that bouquet is just icing on top of that cake. Which, I of course, usually end up avoiding, unless I’m wearing my trusty spanx.


6 months ago I viewed this as a bunch of pretty flowers. Nowadays it's better known as a "Pastel Floral Arrangement"



Social MediaWins the Wedding-Mania Enabler Award


But more to the point, over the past few months, I’ve had suggested wedding related pages popping up all over my Facebook. Initially that’s how it started. I’d like a wedding dress here, a pair of ridiculously simple, yet gorgeous heels there. Until, all of a sudden, I’ve become a wedding enthusiast. My Instagram newsfeed is full of wedding inspired pictures. I thought that was what Pinterest was all about. Hence why I used and abused it for about a week.  My iPhone conveniently alerts me to the exceeded storage limit it currently holds on the daily as well. It wasn’t until I went through my whole camera roll that I had realised how deep I was in. I had saved hundreds of images, as well and screen shots depicting everything from unique floral arrangements, bridesmaid’s dresses to hairspiration pics. I was confused, embarrassed which lead me to even contemplating the thought of making a separate album to file said images. And that’s when it hit me; I’ve been sucked in like the rest. No, it has nothing to do with hormones, or my passion for beauty, but I am addicted to collecting wedding-related images. It’s almost a modern day type of scrapbooking activity towards an event that can’t even take place because I haven’t met the man yet!



Exhibit A: Favourite Insta Page

Wedding Obsession Detox 101 

  
Whilst I’m no longer catching lizards, I’ve managed to delete any screenshots I probably won’t need in the distant future. My phone has finally stopped pestering me about the lack of storage it can hold, and I’ve even limited myself to only liking one Bridal Magazine page, a Wedding Blog and Steven Khalil’s official Facebook page.



Have I completely lost the plot? Has anyone else experienced the sudden need to search for #wedding hashtags at least once a week?


Wogarella,

Xx


*Images unashamedly sourced from the author's phone. 



2 comments:

  1. I liked how you were in the backyard catching lizards with your brother or riding my bike. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe ur stars are lining you up to become a wedding planner !!

    ReplyDelete