Translate

Sunday 29 April 2012

Do You Share Your Food?



I can honestly tell you, my fine reader that I have OCD. So the only people I have ever shared cutlery/drinks/gelato with are my family members. A lot of people may find I am a complete nutter, but it's not as if I haven't tried- I promise! The thing is, my weak stomach just continues to protest. So I've accepted the fact that I cannot share utensils. However, over the years during lunchtime at school, in Uni breaks and in the office I have always felt weird eating alone.

Let's Blame Wogarella's Mama!

It could have something to do with my upbringing. I'm a wog, if someone comes to visit a simple coke can just isn't counted "hospitable" enough for my mother. In fact, when we almost have visitors we have an informal menu. Starting with a cold drink/juice, and about 5 different types of snacks including chips, pumpkin seeds, assortment of roasted nuts, and the healthy options, sliced Lebanese cucumber, carrots, dates and occasionally a dip, hummus or three-olive dip anyone? We almost always insist guests have a top up! Otherwise it's considered "Ayb" or "rude". Following this we bring out a selection of fruits, whereby my mum personally feels the need to slice up to ensure an easier experience for her guest. Yet to be fair, if she hasn't had notice she simply assembles an assortment of fruits on a plate for each guest with the appropriate cutlery. In the third hour of their visit, we will usually bring out the sweets, home made of course. My mum's specialties include baklava and coconut and semolina slice, better known as Hreesee. Served with some sweet cinnamon tea of course. Lastly, I brew a fresh pot of Lebanese coffee, known as "Ahwee," it's bitter and strong, pretty much an Arab version of a short black. Finally if my mum hasn't packed some sweets for our visitors to take home in a doggy-bag, she stands outside at the front of their car for another hour, just in case they forgot to mention something in the last four hours.

Wow, that was a bit of an essay, but you can see I am not used to eating alone. And even if I am, I can only sit on the dining table, no couch for me , no siree!

As interesting as the Lebanese culture may be, let’s get back to the actual purpose of this post. You see, the other day one of my colleagues announced that she was feeling peckish, to her delight I jumped out of my seat and declared that I have a mandarin in the fridge. She quickly protested, "No I can't take your food.” “Don’t be silly man!” I replied.  “Don't you want to eat it?" at this stage I let out a giggle and told her that I always bring two pieces of fruit just in case somebody else might want some.

A simple conversation really. But apparently not. Apparently my behaviour is not normal. Not that it was negative in any way, but she insisted that I truly was a "Wogarella". And I think she was right. Food should be shared with all. We are so blessed to live in a country whereby we have fresh food at our fingertips. Yes, it may cost a little bit more, but in comparison to the rest of the world, us Aussies have some of the best accessibility to fresh produce.

It’s probably wise to mention that unlike most people, my mother opts to buy mandarins in the quantities which come in the form of a box. Including more than a few kilos. Clearly because buying a few pieces at Woolies wouldn’t really be a value for money.


Do you share your food with friends, or co-workers? Are you judging me because I have OCD? Judge all you want, but please don’t spit in my (BPA FREE) water bottle behind my back.  

I’m off to peel another one of those damn mandarins.








Wogarella,

Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment