Translate

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Wogarella Pops her Sushi Train Cherry


Believe it or not, as cultured as I am I have never actually tried Sushi. It’s not as though I’ve never been offered Sushi. It is a favourite at several events and most of my girlfriends often ask if we can all meet for Sushi. Which intern routinely accept the fact that I am cringing at the thought of “Chinese Food”.

This is obviously a misconception, because embarrassingly enough, Sushi originates from Japan. Haha clearly Geography isn’t my strong point.

Anyways, recently a very dear friend and colleague of mine has been offered an amazing job, which means that I will no longer have my Salad –loving partner in crime to spend lunch with. And as it seems, for the past 10 months, I have been missing out on Sushi trains. Whilst I will hardly ever purchase Sushi from any old place, I believe it was a great experience!

The thing is, my religious beliefs put me in an awkward position, there are a lot of options on the menu which I can’t eat. But I trekked through the vegetarian sushi menu and ordered an avocado And cucumber sushi roll. Followed by a teriyaki chicken sushi roll I excitedly grabbed off of the swiftly moving sushi train. And believe it or not after eating only four tiny pieces of Sushi, (dipped in soy sauce and wasabi of course) I was absolutely famished. I'm not sure of its because I'm on a health kick, or because I don't eat white rice often. 

Whilst my friends were churning down their sashimi and slurping up their miso soup, which I later learn is a really salty soup, soy based too. I think I will try that next time.  But my all time favourite dish would have to be the Edamame. This stuff was a winner! Edamame for those who like me have been living under a rock is steamed soy beans, which are salty and incredibly fresh. The fun part is rather than manually opening them as you do with snowpeas, you force them out with your teeth, ensuring you teeth are placed at the end of the Edamame and pull it out of your mouth, as you pull then lovely bursts of goodness enters your mouth. It's simple. Yet I am amazed. I clearly need to get out more. Well out of comfort zone that is!


I must admit that I am a bit of a tech freak, very much so a typical Gen Y kid because I was  impressed by the fact that you can order your plates via an iPad. Whilst they aren't geniuses, it is definitely a cute little idea, especially because it saves me from awkwardly asking the waitress what is in this and that because the commotion around us including the ever revolving sushi train and excited customers, with chop sticks clasped in their hands was becoming a bit overwhelming. Much like that jam-packed sentence to be honest. 

Wogarella's verdict: It's got nothing on home made tabouli, but I would do it again. 


Ps Please see visual evidence below visual evidence of an after meal shot. Quit judging me, I was far too excited to take pics whilst I tried  each of the lovely dishes that were placed before me. 






Sayonara,

Wogarella Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment